Thursday, August 17, 2006

True Romance - the movie

Recently I picked up the screenplay of "True Romance" written by Quentin Tarantino. I must confess, I am not a movie freak. In this day & age, I don't own a VCD / DVD player. For that matter, I don't even own a PC of my own. My current & ex-roommates have been kind enough to let me use their laptops to satisfy my cyber needs. That way, I am quite blessed to have shared roof with 8 truly domesticated & kind roomies in last 5 years. I wish I had few "roommate from hell" kind of stories to share. Unfortunately, I have none. Amongst that bunch of 8, I would single out "K" for a special mention. We have been staying together for 5 years now. Wonder if this could qualify for a mention in the Limca Book Of Records. These days, even marriages don't last this long. The secret of finding roommates who won't ditch you (mostly by getting married) is quite simple, hook them young. K is 5 years younger than me. Perhaps, in near future, I might get married, dump "K" & move out. But the last time I checked with my mum & sis, there aren't many (or rather any) takers for me in the marriage market. Well let’s not digress into depressing matters.

Where was I ? Yep, True Romance.

This was Tarantino's debut screenplay. He wrote it while he was still working as video store clerk.By the time I was on the 2nd page of the script, I was well & truly hooked. Racy dialogues, colorful characters, gripping storyline. It has it all. I got sucked into the deranged and wickedly funny world of Clarence Worley (a comic books & kung-fu movies freak) & his girlfriend Alabama (a newbie whore). A series of unfortunate events involving the girls pimp, a bunch of hard-hitting-fast-talking drug traffickers, & a bag filled with cocaine sets off a mad-cap cat & mouse game between the bad guys, the ill-fated couple, and the cops. The bits n pieces eventually lead up to a tragi-comic climax where nobody is sure who is after who's ass.

I had a blast reading it. Without further ado I am copy pasting the opening scene of the movie. Hope it tickles your funny bone, as much as it tickled mine.

##########################################################

Movie : True Romance
Screenplay : Quentin Tarantino
Director : Tony Scot
Release Year : 1993

INT. BAR - NIGHT

A smoky bar in downtown Detroit.

Clarence Worley, a young hipster hepcat, is trying to pick up an older lady named Lucy. She isn't bothered by him, in fact, she's a little charmed. But you can tell that she isn't going to leave her barstool.


[ CLARENCE ]
In "Jailhouse Rock" he's everything rockabilly's about. I mean he is rockabilly: mean, surly, nasty, rude. In that movie he couldn't give a fuck about anything except rockin' and rollin', livin' fast, dyin' young, and leaving a good-looking corpse. I love that scene where after he's made it big he's throwing a big cocktail party, and all these highbrows are there, and he's singing, "Baby You're So Square... Baby, I Don't Care". Now, they got him dressed like a dick. He's wearing these stupid-lookin' pants, this horrible sweater. Elvis ain't no sweater boy. I even think they got him wearin' penny loafers. Despite all that shit, all the highbrows at the party, big house, the stupid clothes, he's still a rude-lookin' motherfucker. I'd watch that hillbilly and I'd want to be him so bad. Elvis looked good. I'm no fag, but Elvis was good-lookin'. He was fuckin' prettier than most women. I always said if I ever had to fuck a guy... I mean had too 'cause my life depended on it... I'd fuck Elvis.

(Lucy takes a drag from her cigarette.)

[ LUCY ]
I'd fuck Elvis.

[ CLARENCE ]
Really?

[ LUCY ]
When he was alive. I wouldn't fuck him now.

[ CLARENCE ]
I don't blame you.

(they both laugh)

So we'd both fuck Elvis. It's nice to meet people with common interests, isn't it?

(Lucy laughs.)


##########################################################

If the curtain raiser sounds juicy enough, then I would encourage you guys to go to the nearest Public Library & get hold of the printed copy to read the full script. For the rest of you lazy bums who don’t want to budge from your recliners, I am giving below a link to its online draft. (I noticed few typos & omissions in the online version, but I guess its good enough).


FRIENDLY WARNING : The script contains hardcore profanity & mind numbing violence.

http://www.godamongdirectors.com/scripts/trueromance.shtml

11 comments:

bottled-imp said...

how could a good guy like you put up such stuff? that too when you are still 'looking'? ah man, put in a disclaimer saying.. wait a sec... was this to go up a few notches on the 'cool dude' level?
maybe it will work. who knows?

anyway, public library you said? it has been decades since i last went to a public lib here. have to read it online. i have never read any screenplay. the first couple of pages i read are 'captivating'. how can that chap come up with such wickedly creative dialogues? i bookmarked the site. will read the rest later.

Anonymous said...

IW,
Ab mia tumhara kia karna! Simply think that the marriage market isn't ready for you! It's way too behind...

Anyways never heard of this movie before. But definitely sounds like a movie i'd like to watch. And talking abt screenplays the only screenplay i read was in a impromptu gathering of friends and colleagues we read out 'A Few Good Men' and i was Nicholson's character Jessop. was terrible. :D

Silent Melody said...

Hey IW; I think Q's stories /screenplays are much better than the eventual movies. A couple of years back i had the Q fever; I went online and read each every word I could find on him and each and every word he had written. But why does it have to be so violent? I loved the "Natural Born Killers" story that Q had written but the movie was really weird!! Did anyone here like NBK??

parikrama said...

Imp,

I tried being a good guy for far too long, it simply doesn't work with these new age girls (that explains, Emran Hashmi's craze). But having said that,i am not really conscious of the image I project through my posts. There was no attempt whatsoever to raise the "coolness" stakes. If there was, I wouldn't have mentioned the un-cool things about laptops & other gadgets :-)

Tell you what, reading the script online is such a pain. Unless maybe U take a printout & read the hardcopy. I personally find reading pages off the screen quite irksome & taxing. I am lucky enough to have access to the vast network of Public libraries here in Sg. No amount of praise would do justice to the facilities that they provide. Absolutely awsome. Thanx for Ur comment Prof.

Pradzie Miyaa,

I too had not heard of this movie before. I was browsing thru the books, and stumbled upon TR. I saw the name of Tarantino & I just had to pick it. I am glad that my faith was well n truly justified.

Impressed @ Reading out scripts !! I am sure you are just being modest by saying that U were "terrible" :-)

Thanx for stopping by & leaving Ur footprints.

Mellow Silo ,

Looooooooooooooong Timeeeeeeeeeeee.
Whats with these sporadic, UFO like sightings ? Hope U are doing good. I wouldn't really know if Q's scripts are better than the movies. The reason being I have not seen any of his movies :-)) Even "Pulp Fiction", I have just read the screenplay, never got around to see the movie.

About why "so violent" ??? Well coz life is like that ! Aren't you reading the newspapers & watching news channels ? Atleast, Q punctuates the violence with generous dose of sardonic wit & panache.

Glad that you un-lurked & left a comment. Many thanx.

vi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
parikrama said...

Vi,

I was able to read your comment from my mailbnox, though you have deleted it here LOL ;-) . Seems like you are getting lots of second thoughts about the things you say in public lately. Itnaaa nahi sochte re.. Just Say It :-)

The New Age Superhero said...

hahaah... terrific post.. and merci beaucoup for the link.. gawd! u write really well man! :D

raghu said...

holy mother of god... im a crab 2...born on pi(22/7)... tru cusp whose very impulsive n xtraordinarily confused

parikrama said...

Sun4none,
Thanx mate for Ur appreciation. Am yet to check out your space, Merci ! I am bit lazy when it comes to reading & commenting on blogs written by guyz.The thing is, i am bit partial towards female bloggers ;-)

Raghu,
Nice to meet another kindred cancerian spirit. Its quite alright to be confused at your age (17 ?!!). Its not so alright to be confused at my age ( NN ?!!) . Nopes, I am too damn stressed over my age to write it down clearly in those brackets. Perhaps you are right, blame the stupid Cusp for all the confusion :-) Thanx for stopping by mate.

The New Age Superhero said...

haha... no probs mate.. wheneva.. i understnd.. we are all of the same kind! :P keep writing tho.. me enjoys ur work! :D

raghu said...

lolz.. u dnt havta read my blog.. jus c da pics.. its http://animewalls.blogspot.com/
watever da age ur allowed 2 b confused