Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Marilyn - ver 2.0


+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Note : There is absolutely no connection between the picture above and the text below. Both are mutually exclusive (i hope that's the right word) . But if one were to find a common link between the two, perhaps the most obvious attribute they share is - "beauty" . The lady above was voted to have the most perfect pair of boobs (not seen in the pic, sorry) in Hollywood. With a timeless face like that, does anyone really care whether she has perfect or imperfect boobs ?

As for the lines below, these are penned by one of my favourite writer - Gabriel Garcia Marquez . I am yet to come across another writer who can match the sustained beauty of his prose. It was Asuph who introduced me to Marquez & from that moment on, I have been well and truly hooked. It's actually quite foolish of me to quote few selective lines, but believe me if it was upto me, I would copy paste his entire work line per line here. But that would look even more foolish, I guess.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

"One can be in love with several people at the same time, feel the same sorrow with each, and never betray any of them". Alone in the midst of the crowd on the pier, he said to himself in a flash of anger : "My heart has more rooms than a whorehouse.."

"Amputees suffer pains cramps, itches, in the leg that is no longer there. That is how she felt without him, feeling his presence where he no longer was.."

"What is between us is nothing more than an illusion.."

"I have very bad chemistry with animals, just as I do with children before they begin to speak. They seem mute in their souls. I don't hate them, but I can't tolerate them.."

"I think its against nature for a man to get along well with his dog than he does with his wife, to teach it to eat & defecate on schedule, to answer his questions & share his sorrows.."

"Sex is a consolation you have when you can't have love.."

"The problem with marriage is that it ends every night after making love, and it must be rebuilt every morning before breakfast.."

"The scalpel is the greatest proof of the failure of medicine.."

"For as long as I can remember, they have killed us in the cities with decrees, not with bullets."

"How noble this city must be, for we have spent 400 years trying to finish it off & still have not succeeded."

"It is a pity to find a suicide that is not for love.."

"The only frustration I carry away from this life is that of singing at so many funerals except my own.."

"There is no greater misfortune than dying alone.."

"And no women, white or black, is worth 120 pounds of gold, unless she shits diamonds.."

"Books are worthless, Life has helped me cure the diseases that other doctors cause with their medicines.."

"Doctors see with their hands.."

"No medicine cures what happiness cannot.."

"Crazy people are not crazy if one accepts their reasoning.."

"I live in the fear of being alive.."

"Ideas do not belong to anyone, they fly around up there like angels.."

"I am burdened by the greatest misfortune a human being can suffer, I no longer believe.."

"Disbelief is more resistant than faith because it is sustained by the senses.."

"At my age, and with so much mixing of bloodlines, I am no longer certain where I come from, or who I am.."

"Sex is a talent, and I do not have it."

9 comments:

The New Age Superhero said...

since i'm jobless now.. i find ample time to read.. this guy has been on the list for a long time now.. will start reading his works soon

and scarlett johansson.. words fail me.. all i say is.. she is a yr younger to me.. so technically.. just technincally.. me and her are possible :P.. it will be difficult to convince my conservative family though... sigh.. but i shall fight the battle for you scarlett :P

Anonymous said...

absolutely agree @ the SJ question. however, we'll probably in minority as usual

and on the subject of marquez, have you read "chronicles of death foretold"? if not pick it up right away.

cheers,
asuph

parikrama said...

post script for ABIW & asuph : I have added few more quotable lines, since you guys last stopped by.

ABIW,
Yaar kidher kidher mooh maarega ?You already have a (spiritual) harem in Tanmay baba's aashram.. why are you leeching after poor scarlett ? Besides, you are way out of her league, you deserve someone better ;-) Aur vaise bhi tere toh abhi khelne koodne ke din hein. Why you want to get into the boring business of ghar grihasthi ? Zara apne uncle ke future ke baarein mein soch yaar. Sacrifice maamu.. Sacrifice..

Asuph,
After my aborted attempts with "100Years Of Solitude", I picked up "Chronicles Of A Death Foretold". My first reaction was that that of relief! After having given up on Umberto Eco, I thought my collaboration with Marquez was going to be equally unsuccessful. But luckily, 'Chronicles' restored my confidence.. and since then I have had fairly long and fruitful affair with Marquez. So far I have read :

"Love In The Times Of Cholera"
"Memories of My Melancholy Whores"
"Love and Other Demons"
"Strange Pilgrims"
and one more collection of his short stories (don't temember the title)

And before I breathe last, I will surely pick "100 Years" again and give it a fair shot. But I need to sort my head first ;-)

aria said...

Hmm well yes no connection between that picture and those lines you've quoted coz the ethereal beauty of those words is 'timeless' .. contrary to any 'physical beauty' ..

anyhow.. thanks for posting this though when I started reading I thought I'm in for another laugh riot but sigh .. looks like you too gonna fall in the line and become a 'serious' writer if you continue reading such writers.. :(

parikrama said...

>> you too gonna fall in the line and become a 'serious' writer if you continue reading such writers.. :(

Aria,
There are atleast half a dozen lines (above) which I find outrageouly funny.. Well they may not exactly make you fall off the chair laughing.. but Marquez does make you grin with his unique brand of earthy (wise) humour.

As for your fear of me donning a serious avatar, well fikar not - I am too old to change. At my age, there are more chances of me becoming senile than wise and serious :)

ABIW,
Did you read the news about Scarlett getting engaged to some guy called Ryan Reynolds ? I saw some news bit on rediff about 2 days back. Talk about classic case of KLPD.

AB said...

i had read couple of quotes out of the list above but didn't know of the origin/source. now maybe i'll give chronicles a shot and hope it gives me a "shot in my arm" :-)
nice collection though - keep writing!!

parikrama said...

AB,
Thanks. Sorry for the late response. Been really slogging at work.. and mindless slogging at that. Life hasn't been blogworthy for a quite a while now.. *sigh*

AshenGlow said...

Loved reading this post....

And yes of all the beautiful lines there.. there was one that i could immediately relate to...

"I am burdened by the greatest misfortune a human being can suffer, I no longer believe.."

Shucks.. :(

parikrama said...

ashenglow,
Welcome to my dormant blogspace. Please don't fre coz you are not alone. I too suffer from the same malady :)