Sunday, December 30, 2007

Taare Zameen Par - not really a review

The makers of TZP say that it's a movie which should be watched by the kids and parents together. Well, seems likes most people in town took the advice quite seriously. They arrived in hordes, armed with - Prams, Pampers, Pacifiers, Nannies, Grandparents et al. Nothing and no one was left behind. The entire paraphernalia that goes into raising a piddly little kid, had descended for the 4.15pm Saturday show.

Now please don’t get me wrong, I like kids (as long as I am not asked to play/talk with them). Kids look cute on a playground - jumping with joy awaiting their turn to go down a slide. Kids look cute in a Kindergarten – with neat uniforms & water bottle hanging around their neck. These are the places where a kid truly belongs. But a movie theatre ? That's one place where kids should be banned from entering, ever. What kind of sadist parents decide to put their kids through an ordeal, by making them sit for well over 3 hours in a big dark room amidst total strangers ? Little wonder that these kids, the moment the lights goes off, freak out and scream their guts off in an attempt to flee to the safety of world outside, with all of its bright lights, candies and ice-cream.

"Every child is special" exhorts the tagline of TZP. When I sat down to watch TZP along with screaming and whimpering bunch of fledglings, I felt the tag line should read - "Every child is a rascal" ( "Can somebody please take them out ? I got a movie to watch & review" ) Alas! my silent pleas were met with more high pitched screeching & crying. I grudgingly shut them out of my mind & shifted my attention to the story unfolding on the screen.

TZP is a movie with a heart & message. (And) a very dangerous message at that, depending on how you interpret it. After watching this movie, kids will have an extremely smart excuse for flunking in studies..

"But mamma, can't you see I am dyslexic, like Ishaan in TZP.."

"It’s not my fault. If anyone, blame the flawed genes that you and dad passed on to me."

"Can we watch TZP again now, but before that, Please sign this report card"

So my friendly warning to all parents out there - If your kid doesn't suffer from dyslexia and is just plain dumb & idiot, DON'T let them watch this movie.

Now about the movie proper, it does well in driving home the plight of dyslexic kids. Darsheel Safary (all of 11 years) has enacted his role with just the right dose of innocence, restraint, and touch of naughtiness. The scene which stood out for me, is when, after having a fight with a neighbourhood bully, he scampers up onto the terrace and is seen breaking into sobs, quickly followed by seething rage. Waxing and waning between tears of helplessness interspersed with anger, Darsheel handles these these two extremes of emotions quite effortlessly . I am afraid, I can't pass any compliments to Aamir Khan. I found him a wee bit gimmicky, with just a touch of extra (artifical) zing in his portrayal of a sensitive & bubbly arts teacher. Throughout the movie, he has this patent look : creased forehead, crooked raised eyebrows, dimpled smile, twitching nose and the "Look maa, am so cute and nice" kind of bemused stupid expression (think Akshaye Khanna).

The film flounders aimlessly at times, driving the same point over and over again. The characters are well established, so why not move on with the story ? We are shown Aamir Khan, travelling in a bus, helping a fellow passenger change her kid’s nappies.. (what for ? by now we know that he is a nice guy, so why go for the overkill ?) Another scene he is seen taking pity at a kid working in a Dhabba and treats him with tea and biscuits.. By all means you are a good guy Aamir, and you are the bloody director/producer of the movie as well, but if I was the editor, I would have mercilessly cut these and few more superfluous & indulgent scenes from the movie.

As the credits rolled up, I saw the 50-plus uncle sitting next to me, wiping tears with his shirt sleeve. While walking out of the theatre, I overheard 2 guys (in their early 20s) saying "Ladke ne kyaa acting kiyaa hein yaar, I cried at so many scenes", his friend nodded in agreement , "Haan yaar, I also cried" . Now if a movie can make (seemingly non-sissy) grown up men cry, then surely the movie has succeeded at some (or rather many) levels.

21 comments:

asuph said...

lol IW, that's a zhakaas review as always. only is it a thumbs up or thumbs down? ;-)

cheers,
asuph

Rajavel said...

Good that you had the disclaimer : not really a review !

Cos peppered with you ishtyle of humour you have talked about the movie - but didnt pass a verdict !

This probably is the only "not really" review which finds faults with this movie ! Good to have read this !

BTW - did you cry too ?

parikrama said...

Asuph,

Zhaakli mooth savvaa laakahaachi.. So i won't reveal my hand err more specifically my thumb. As i said at the beginning, this isn't a review per se. I am too traumatised to write a balanced review. My reviews always invariably end up as rants :)

Cheti,

Yes indeed, I cried. Correction, I didn't cry, I bawled. But that was before the movie started. I went to the movie alone. When I walked up to the ticket counter, the back rows were all filled up with only couple of solitary seats vacant amidst them. I chose a seat which had 3 filled seats to my right and 2 filled seats to my left.I took my seat and waited with rising anticipation for the identity of my adjacent seat occupants to be revealed. But as luck would have it, on my right came a 50Plus year old uncle and on my left there was this guy in his early 30s (with wife in tow). This was precicely the moment when I lost control of my emotions, and sobbed unabashedly cursing my rotten luck.

Anonymous said...

hey dude,

plz post your review (or whatever you call it) in Aamir Khan's blog (http://www.aamirkhan.com/blog.htm)

regards,

madrasi

parikrama said...

Madrasi,

I won't be visiting AK's blog. Haah if he wants to visit my space and read my (not really a) review, then he is most welcome.

Jay said...

atleast as far as editing is concerned, i will definitely agree with you.. so many things that have been unnecessarily overdone in the movie.... and at times the editing is jittery and jumping between screens.... It was truly the worst part of the best film of the year...

you can read my review on http://jkpcblogs.blogspot.com/2008/01/taare-zameen-par-every-director-is.html

parikrama said...

Jay,
Somehow I have got this habit to dwell more on the negatives than positives. Kyaa karey aadat se majboor hu. So that's the reason I ranted more about the superflous scenes and over zealous acting (at times) in TZP.

I am glad you somehow stumbled upon my blog, coz if not for that I wouldn't have got chance to read your highly balanced and professional review. Thanks for stopping by & leaving your footprints.

vi said...

I've got to watch this movie...interesting and entertaing review! Missed your writing...write more often will you! you can make it your new years resolution ;)

vi

vi said...

btw happy new year 2008

parikrama said...

Vi,
A very Happy and Fulfilling 2 0 0 8 to you and D and also to x , e , w, h (well those are the names given by you, not me) .

As far as the New Year resolution goes, nopes sorry I am not taking any new resolutions until the one which i took 5 years back gets completed. For past 5 years my new years resolution has remained the same "Get Married", and it continues to be the same even in 2008 :)

PS said...

Personally, I think that 99% of the cases of dyslexia are fabrications, and that this "affliction" is an excuse of rotten teachers to classify the students who they are not able to teach.
I know for a fact that when I was a kid, there were a few subjects that i did not get, and i could have classified myself as dyslexic. However, I now find that I really like those subjects and i could not learn them well only because the teachers were crap. Some subjects, I have developed a passion for.

So, paraphrasing an old saying -
"There are no dyslexic students, there are only rotten teachers".
- atra

parikrama said...

Hmm Atra.. That might just be the case. I have always been weak in Maths and somehow use to barely scrape thru. But i remember there was this Maths teacher.. who taught me for one particular year.. and I must say whatever he taught I could pick up easily. He really made Maths look easy (that year) for me.

Even, in TZP when this arts teacher pays extra attention to the "so called" dyslexic kid and finds innovative ways to teach him.. The kid indeed starts picking up things.. So the paraphrased old saying that yu quoted might indeed be true.

Thanks mate for stopping by, as always, one can trust you to put a totally different spin on any given topic.

aria said...

Hehehe What a review or not a review. I like kids from a distance too .. rather ..I'm not really sure if I like them from distance either. I haven't seen the movie .. will watch it on tv .. (whenever they show it on any channel.) So as of now .. my only complain is - AK should have made this movie 20 years ago .. at least I could have had an excuse for flunking then .. too bad ..

Anonymous said...

Hi Parikrama (is that ur real name??)... Anyways, different angle of looking at TZP presented by you. Not really a review i must say. Nevertheless, nice read... I quite like your style of narration (always) and i also try to write something of my own but always receive the criticism that what i write is very much inspired from what you write (my pals call you the hair saloon wala lekhak!!)... Keep posting... :)

parikrama said...

Aria,
When my nephew was about 3/4 years old, I used to get tired just looking (from a distance) at his non-stop antics. It's really hard to match a kids super charged energy levels & intensity. So i totally understand what you mean by not "liking" a kid even from a distance, lol !

AB,
Parikrama is not my real name! and I doubt if there is any living breathing being who goes with that name. I am bit confused about your identity. I thought you were AB as in "Another Brick In The Wall". Regardless, I am quite flattered to know that my name gets tossed around amongst your buddies! Thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

My dear brother,
Make up your mind as to whether you liked the movie or not :)

And PLEASE take up the tag I have asked you to do (hop over to my blog first)...

Scarlett

The New Age Superhero said...

no that AB is some bloody imposer.. the real AB has just stood up.. me is here.. sorry was late.. had work and some shitty emotions to deal with :P

oh the movie's alrt.. kid's brilliant.. amir's direction's smooth.. the first half is terrific.. message is important.. but nothing beats the first 4 paras of your post!! :D.. awesome shit man! really funny! :)

parikrama said...

Scary,
Just one word "Why Me" ? (okay thats not one word, but still)

>> awesome shit man!
AB,

Welcome back (the self proclaimed real AB). I can't tell yu enuff how happy I am to hear that "awesome shit" compliment from you again. Nothing sums up my writing more succintly than those 2words. Thanks ;-)
And yeah, I had wandered to your blog and had some inkling of the "shitty emotions" that you were going through offlate.. Hope things are bit better now. Take care mate.

The New Age Superhero said...

hahahaha! sure sure! u just keep cribbing man.. me loves to read that :P
and as for the "shitty emotions" part.. woh toh theek hai yaar.. once in a while life reminds u .. u have feelings too :S.. but better now thank u :)

Sushant Sreeram said...

hey! chanced upon your blog...and must say, like your distinct sense of humor ;-)

adding you to my blog roll. hope that's cool.

cheers!

parikrama said...

SS,
Glad you enjoyed this post and thanks for blogrolling me. I will give you my customary warning - "Be patient. Be very Patient".. coz my blogging frequency isn't something that I am proud of :)