Sunday, October 05, 2008

No Woman, No Cry

This post heralds a new low for this blog in terms of creative content & imagination. Instead of my usual self-pitying "mummy O mummy tu kab saans banegi" kinda blogs, I am posting a simple recipe for "Batatyache Kaap" (fried potato slices). If you were to ask my neighbours or relatives , what is that one thing that comes to your mind when you think of IW ? The answer would be unanimous - "Batatyaache Kaap" . This is my signature dish in more ways than one. I have eaten these humble slices of potato practically everyday for close to 20 years. I was introduced to Kaap's during my early school days & I got well & truly hooked, so much so, that I refused to eat any meals without having Kaap's in my plate. As my love for Kaap prospered (to obsessive levels) my love for all meat/fish based dishes diminished in equal proportions. I turned into a total vegetarian (or more like potatorian), much to the anguish and despair of my carnivorous Malvani family. I lived , breathed & ate batayache kaap. Only after I came to Sg'pore, I was forced to curb this addiction of mine. Six roommates (including me) = 6 into 5 Kaap's per person = 30 Kaap's was bit too daunting to make. But in past 5 years, that number has comedown to 2 roommates and now to just one. So the Kaap making frequency has picked up once again. These days I make them at least twice a week. With that bit of history & trivia out of the way, lets start with the basics of this amazingly addictive dish :

Ingredients :-
- Cockburn's Special Reserve Port Wine
- Snickers Almond Bar
- 1 FAT,well rounded, Potato
- Malvani Masala
- Salt
- Wheat Flour
- Cooking Oil


If you thought the wine and chocolate were for some exotic garnishing then you were mistaken. They are just for starters, to get you into the swing of things. Pour yourself a generous serving of this silky smooth port wine. The thing about Cockburn's (besides its obtuse name), is that you don't need any extra efforts to swallow it. Just let it rest on your tongue, it will slither under its own silken weight and slide down your throat in an elegant swirling arc, without you having to exercise your throat muscles. Wait for about 15 mins for the wine to make it's way into your blood stream. The time may wary depending upon how thick your blood is or how cheap the wine is. For me, it takes just 7 minutes flat, to get that funny light headed feeling. The emphasis here is to become comfortably numb as opposed to being soddenly drunk, coz very soon we will be dealing with a sharp knife and hot oil, so we would need steady hands & feet.

You would need a chunky fat potato. Unlike batata bhajjiya's which are thinly sliced, Kaap's come in thick slices. If you cut them too thin, in all likelihood they would get burnt while shallow frying. I do opt for thinner cuts, sometimes, just for the sake of variation.


Rinse the slices under water and get the excess water off. The idea here is to just get their surface wet. Transfer them to a wide plate, before doing that rinse the plate with water as well. Sprinkle some salt on both sides, & rub the the slices over the salt ensuring that it spreads evenly.


Now comes the mother of all ingredients of Malvani cuisine - "Malvani Masala". A dozen or more spices are blended with 2 varieties of dried red chillies (Kaashmiri & Bedki) to make this masala. Thanks to my mum, I get to use home made masala, else I wouldn't know where to buy it in market.

Sprinkle the masala onto the slices. Turn them over, and sprinkle on both sides.


If you have got the water content just right on the plate & on the slices, you won't face any problem in spreading the masala layer evenly . If you have too much of water, you would end up with watery mess and the masala won't stick to the surface. It takes few attempts to get a hang of the right combination of dampness.


Next comes the wheat flour. Dab the slices with flour on both sides. You can use corn flour if you prefer crispy Kaap's.



Put a frying pan with little bit of oil. Remember, we are not going to deep fry, this is a shallow fried dish. Wait for the oil to get warm. You can hover your palm over the pan. Once you feel the warmth emanating from the pan reaching your hand, you are ready to transfer the flour dusted slices onto the frying pan.


Let them fry for few minutes, before flipping them over. If you are a seasoned pro, you would know when to switch off the gas. If you are bit new to cooking, you can poke the slices with a fork or knife. If it goes in smoothly it means the slices are well n truly done.



Transfer them onto a plate covered with double layered kitchen towels & observe a golden halo appearing around each slice. The paper not only helps in soaking any excess oil, it also helps in draining any underlying sense of guilt over eating unhealthy oily food.


Kaap's goes famously well with rice and daal or you can eat it on its own like a snack. Before tucking in, I usually close my eyes and utter a silent prayer to myself - ## No Woman, No Cry ##






ps : In case you can't lay your hands on Malvani Masala, you can try a more generic variation of this recipe listed here on Mumbai-Masala dot Com . I doubt if it would taste half as good without Malavani Masala (but I maybe biased here).

17 comments:

The New Age Superhero said...

oh great.. so if i decide to come to singapore.. i have a place to eat :P

cockburn! scary name man :D

AB said...

cool... simply loved this post - the recipe sounds and looks great and ur in-between funny remarks work wonders, just like the malvani masala... now only if you could lend me some of that masala, both remarks wise and actual masala wise :-)

i'll try it and let you know the results

parikrama said...

abiw & ab,
You guys make me feel like Raakhi (with throaty slurred voice et all) from Karan-Arjun whenever I see you guys commenting together on my blog. Tum dono kahi mela'y mein bichde huay bhaai toh nahi ?

Karan,
As long as you promise to bring a bottle of Cockburn's Special Reserve from the Duty Free Shops at Changi Airport, You are most welcome for free 'bed n breakfast' at my place.

As far as the odd name of the wine, I would say it's still palatable compared to a brand of Indian tea for which I saw an ad recently on Sony TV. Have you heard of Waagh Bakri Chaai ?

Arjun,
Don't get disheartened if you don't get it right on first few attempts. The wine will help you to tide over your initial dissapointments. Also if you are drunk beforehand, you couldn't care less if the Kaap's are badly burnt or slightly under-done.

Not only can your borrow Malavani masala, you can borrow Malavani cook aswell. The only catch is, you will have to introduce me to a single Maharashtrian girl who is based in Singapore. Buss itna sa khwaab hein :)

Anonymous said...

omg they do look very tasty and good!! and doesnt seem too tough to make. i will give it a try this wkend for sure. all this while you had a simple recipe of good stuff.

The New Age Superhero said...

dude.. the name "waagh bakri" doesn't give you scary warnings like "cockburns".. Hell i'll think twice before even touching it :P

AB said...

waah miyan! agar mujhe mile, to main tumhe kyun du - khud na lu :P

parikrama said...

Bluehues,
So weekend is here.. How did it go ? Am eager to read about your tryst with Kaap's.

abiw,
I tried to wean you off desi tharra by introducing to you a multiple award winning wine. But seems like you don't want to get reformed.. Teri marzi.

ab,
Ok then the deal is off !

Arpana Sanjay said...

lol @ mummy mummy tu kab saas banegi...really now!!

Sayesha said...

Wow that does look awesome! I'm gonna try making that! :D
PS: Am organising a 'Bloggers watch Karzzzz in the theatre' outing. Interested? :D
http://sayesha.blogspot.com/2008/10/wanted.html

parikrama said...

Whoaa, this is like the proverbial bolt from the blue kind of offer. Saakshaat bhaai commenting on my blog ? Ab bhaai ko kaun naa bol saktaa hein ?

Are there any free samosa's thrown in ?

Sayesha said...

Hahaha! Sakshat Bhai reports with great regret that her attempt to make the kaaps failed miserably... as the kaaps were... err... not exactly edible. :'(

Anyway, to cheer myself up, the Karzzzzzzz plan is still on. Tomorrow 3.15 pm show. Be there or... be smart and save yourself from Himesh! :P

Drop me a note at sayeshaontherocks@gmail.com before noon tomorrow if you want to join in. Though I can guarantee you will sleep in the theatre or walk out midway. The review says it's a horrible movie. :|

See I'm trying all sorts of disclaimers so you don't blame me later! :P

parikrama said...

How could you sleep on Friday night while Karzzzz was being played in Jade ? and you call yourself a bollywood freak ? [ shame shame ]

Since I didn't hear from you for one whole day, I just concluded that I have been Punk'd or in plain speak I thought you made a Popat out of me. So I invited myself over for "parikrama watches movie alone in theatre on Friday night" event..

In short, I have been there and done that ! much before the self proclaimed showbiz kitten ;-)

As for the disastrous attempt at making Kaap's goes. Welcome to the club of wannabe Kaap makers. So far 3 persons have tried and have failed spectacularly. Kaap's look deceptively easy to make. Just like when you watch Sachin bat , and you think like batting is the easiest thing in the world ;-) All i could say is keep trying ! (but without Malvani Masala, you are bound to fail each n every time)

Iya said...

these look delicious...and the link to the alternative masala doesnt open...help !!! i want these...

parikrama said...

iya,
Thanks for stopping by. The link is ok, but seems like the website is undergoing a makeover. I saw a message saying "Site still under migration" .. Try copy pasting the link given below

http://mumbai-masala.com/maincourse/batatakaap.html

Alternatively, you can try

http://mumbai-masala.com/

Look under Main Course ---> Side Items ---> Spicy Potato Slices

A word of caution however, so far I have 2 bloggers & one friend complaining to me that they couldn't quite replicate the recipe with other masala's :)

aria said...

No woman no joy either ;) coz you have the malvani masala courtesy mum .. hmm ? or you'd been clicking the mumbai masala site like us.. heh ..

wishing you you a very happy and spicey new year .. :) I trust you are doing well .. take care.

Anonymous said...

I am gonna try this.

parikrama said...

Sunil,
This dish looks deceptively simple (and it is, once yu get hang of it) but you will have to persevere through couple of botched initial attempts. If you can somehow get hold of Malvani masala, your chances of success would go up dramatically. Good luck.