Saturday, July 21, 2007

Aye Ganpat - 'Chal Daaru Laa'

"Bad luck ?
It floats around, has to land on somebody. Say a storm comes through, some folks sit in their living room & enjoy the rains. The house next door gets torn out of the ground & smashes flat. It was my turn, I was in the path of tornado." (Shawshank Redemption)

Okay, It wasn't so dramatic. There was no tornado. No house got uprooted. But yes, there was bad luck, and more importantly, there was me - in close proximity of bad luck.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There is this cardinal rule about men's dressing - 'black doesn't mixes with white'. Those with religious bent of mind would recollect the un-written 11th commandment:

"Thou shall not wear white shirt on black trousers"

I violated this rule & got promptly punished.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It's a typical weekday morning, I curse and drag myself out of bed. After a quick shower, with towel wrapped around my waist, I find myself inspecting my wardrobe. It's a not a pretty sight. Crumpled shirts and ill-fitting trousers hanging dejectedly on assorted hangers. I scan through my collection of trousers. To call it a collection would be a joke, coz this collection of mine consists of a sum total of 3 pairs of trousers:

1> Dark chocolate(y) brown
2> Light brown
3> Khaki brown

Minimalistic is the buzz word. All 3 trousers are crumpled and worn beyond redemption. It's been almost 2 months since they saw the innards of a washing machine. In a state of panic, I turn to my collection of jeans, which again is, Minimalistic. Two pairs of blue and one pair of black. I look at the black jeans with hope & trepidation. From a distance it can pass off as a black formal office trouser. I decide to stretch my luck. I settle for black jeans with an off-white (whatever that means) striped long-sleeved shirt.

The thing with long-sleeves shirt and me is that, I always find the sleeves bit too loose around my wrists. I have very slender feminine wrists (to go with my delectably soft hands). My wrists, make it almost impossible for me to wear men's wrist watch (or for that matter even women's wrist watch). Seven years back I stopped wearing wrist watches altogether (much to the disappointment of my mum). She use to look at my bare wrist and feel sorry for me. Which mum doesn't like to see her grown up son sporting a manly wrist watch ? My mum is no exception. Okay, I digressed enough. So you get the picture (slender bare wrists, loose ill-fitting off-white shirt, rolled up sleeves, black jeans).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It's evening, I am now at Saravana Bhavan (the friendly neighbourhood South-Indian eatery) . Standing at the cashier's table I ponder over my order. (Much earlier) the day in office had gone off uneventfully. As always, nobody had the time or inclination to notice me (or my black jeans). At Sarvana Bhavan, you need to place your order at the cashier & pay-up in advance. They, then give you a plastic token number which you place strategically on your table, and wait. I order one 'appam' and coffee. Just then, my eyes wander to the tantalizing array of sweets on display right next to the cashier. Predictably, I give in to my temptation. To gratify my sweet tooth, I order one Baadushaa. The dessert is handed immediately at the counter on a small steel plate. I pick up tissues, spoon & fork from the self-service cutlery counter and then : Tragedy strikes (Tornado, House, Path, Badluck, Me..... Remember ?).

With tissues, spoon-fork in one hand, a steel plate with the sweet in other hand I start walking precariously, looking for an empty table. As I walk past few tables, I notice a guy with his ear glued to cell phone, looking at me. For few tiny seconds my eyes lock with his and I know from that moment onwards I am doomed. Still talking animatedly on his cell, he raises his free hand and signals me. This isn't any friendly 'hey there buddy' kind of waving of hand. I know for sure, what's on his mind. I ignore his frenetic calls and continue walking past him. He almost grabs hold of my arm and tries to stop me in my tracks. That does it, I can't take this humiliation anymore. I stop, turn back in my stride and shout on top of my voice :

"I am not the friggin' Waaaaiteeeeerrrrrrr"

My words float gently in the air (for what seems like an eternity). The ripples carry across the length and breadth of the restaurant. A hushed silence descends. The tension is palpable. The cell-phone guy lies stunned & frozen. In a reflex action he disconnects the phone and starts apologizing profusely. I don't need an apology (if anything, i should be thanking him for gifting me with a blog-worthy anecdote). I brush him aside and make my way past few more stunned diners and find an empty table. Sometime later, as the 'real' waiter comes with appam and coffee, I realize my folly. The dress code for waiters, in Saravana Bhavan, is same as mine. White shirt & black trousers. It was a classic case of me being at the wrong place, at the wrong time, in wrong attire.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

p.s. : song of the week

Aye Ganpat, Chal Daaru La..
Ice Chala, Soda Kam, Thoda Paani Mila..
Thoda Table Veble Saaf Kar De Na Yaar..
Aye Ganpat, Ganpat..

25 comments:

aria said...

I've weird imagination. I thought, the guy who waved at you, was ahem a gay ..lol
My mother often does similar things. Once, we were in a shop looking at shoes and chappals and she asked one man to 'show' a particular pair. The poor guy was handsomely dressed with a camera dangling in front, so he must have been a tourist. fir bhi .. :)
Waise this was a tad black-houmorish .. I laughed alright but .. sigh ..
Keep writing..

parikrama said...

>> I laughed alright but .. sigh ..

Aria,
Not sure what the 'sigh' signified. The thing is, the incident on its own was quite hilarious. (But) when I sat down to write about it, somehow the humour got diluted.. Thats the reason I sat over the draft for over a week (this happened a week back).. and as I re-visited the draft many times over the week, i couldn't induce much life into it. So finally this morning, i said enuff is enuff & just spruced it up with the 'Ganpat' bit.. and added a few lines here-n-there and just got it out of the way.

I guess the (forced) effort shows.. *sigh*
Thanks mate.

Anonymous said...

IW,
I thought it was going to be funny too, magar yaar, being the guy you are, i figured you'd religiously write out his order and pass it on the real saravana waiter and then stand at his table for a tip of no less than $10 before the food arrived. phir bhi... it was funny only.
but im guesin you're living dangerously swearing and all in public. Is it really you, man? I can already see those two women from the tram standing at the doorway of saravana giving that same look!

parikrama said...

Maltova bhaai,

I have said this in past & say it yet again.. Bhai mere, its 80% fact 20% embellishment. Need i tell you which part is which ? Fikar not, I handled the episode with tact and humility. One can't always come with good come-back lines in such dicey situations. It happens only in movies with good script writers working furiously behind the scenes.

Anonymous said...

iw,
Now, if you had been mistaken for elvis, or for an admiral, would you have been so offended? Nah, I am sure you'd have felt flattered.
Waiter ko kam samajhta hai? What about dignity of labor?
Look at me - when I wear my black jacket and go to the station to board a train, people come and ask me which platform which train will come. Do I get offended because they think I am a TC? No. I simply point them to the furthest platform. Thats called dignity of labor.

Anyway, jokes aside, here's a book reco for you (in case you have nothing against reading anything other than playboys) -
Fooled by Randomness (The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and in the Markets) - Nassim Nicholas Taleb
- atra

asuph said...

iw,

i'm thoroughly disappointed in you. imagine the waiter who came to wait on your table. what would he be thinking?

"yeah, i'm the fu***ng waiter"

if i were you, i'd not eat anything at that place ever.

cheers,
asuph

parikrama said...

Atra/Asuph,

At this rate I'd have to post a disclaimer and the customary 'fact Vs fiction ratio' after almost every paragraph.

Instead of reprimanding me you guys should find a nice Maharashtrian wife for me, so that I can mellow down like you guys have mellowed (after marriage).

Full2 Faltu said...

Arre mala saang kashi nahi milat mulgi tula?

Foreign return javai, good sense of humor. Changla pagar!

Aur kya chahiye ladki ke liye

-Punds

Anonymous said...

Kay mahit ya porala mulgi kashi milat naahi!
Mala tar solllid doubt yeto aahey yachya var.

- atra

parikrama said...

Arey yaar tithey tyaa Salmaan Khaan la pan mulgi milat naahi ahe,lagnaa saathi. Heard that Katrina is also not keen on marrying him. Sirf time-pass ke liye Sallu bhaai ko 'use' kiyaa (Ash & Katrina ne).

Agar usko problem ho saktaa hein toh mere jaise maamuli insaan ko bhi problem ho saktaa hein yaar. Kabhi kabhi uppar waala haath pe shaadi ki line maarne ko bhul jaata hein. Usmey meraa kyaa dosh hein ?

Full2 Faltu said...

Doubt??? Parikrama Tujya var doubt?

Atra
Aata tyala ekdum sexy fantastic sundar, hushar, cultured mulgi havi asel tar thoda sa vel jasta lagnarach. Hey sagla asun marathi sudha havi. Vel lagnaaar na.

kay?

-Punds

Anonymous said...

:))))

--Ananth

Ubermensch said...

Hey are you the same Indian whining I knew, man if you are, you have changed by leaps, well at least your writing has, I just checked this one, quite enjoyed it. I suppose you Jonathan seagull days are history.

Keep it up.

Coming to the blog, where on earth have waiters started wearing white shirts on black jeans, moreover it looks so late eighties - early ninties, when guys like rishi kapoor were shamelessly romancing divya bharatis.

coudnt get the song though

Crystal Blur said...

IW!
From your closet description, looks like I need to volunteer you to the Fab 5 from the "queer eye for the straight guy" ;) That was a fun read :)

Anonymous said...

I have very slender feminine wrists (to go with my delectably soft hands)

eh what?? ;)

IW and swearing? ;) i bet 10000000xxx dollars (which i do not have) tht you didnt! hihihihh

LL

bottled-imp said...

hey ei-v (thats how i always read your nick, partly english partly german). am not sure what inspires you to write but i do hope that 'muse' strikes you often.
[nitpick] what started as an off-white striped shirt became an off-white one half way through and then finally became a white one.

parikrama said...

Full2,
Mereko toh eis Atraa ke neeyaat pe doubt aata hein. Choraa chya manaat chaandnein mhantaat te kaahi ugaach nahi. He is known to be quite a shoukeen aadmi, you see.

Anantha,
Just a smile, thats all ? No time to type even a "Hi" ? This, even before you are married! wonder what will happen after your marriage.

Yosso Saar,
Long time eh.. I am very much the same IW. If it was not for this public forum, I would have shown you the black mole on my right thigh as a proof of my identity. Trust me, I haven't changed a bit.

I guess Saravan Bhavan were having some kind of "Semi-Retro" week, that could perhaps explain the queer dress code of their staff.

The 'Ganpat' song is supposedly the latest Bollywood anthem doing rounds of ladies dance bars & TV channels. In fact the song is so catchy that the civic bodies in Mumbai, have started a cleanliness campaign with a rip-off called "Aye Ganpat - Chal Jhaadu Maar". (Am not sure if you asked for the translation, in case you did : The song is about this bunch of bhaai log's, sitting in a seedy bar, (&) pestering Ganpat to bring booze and to clean table)

I visit your blogspace regularly, just that I don't dare to leave a comment. Hope Paris treated you well.

Cryss,
I think I am ripe for a complete makeover, So bring 'em ON bebe.

El El,
Thanks for putting your money on me. Wish Asuph and Atraa had as much faith in me, as you do :)

Suresh,
It was very much a striped white shirt from start to finish. I didn't change shirts halfway like they do in our film songs ;-)

The problem with these off-white shirts is : from a distance with the right kind of lighting and wrong kind of angle, they look more 'white' than errrrr 'off white'. The stripes (on this particular shirt) aren't of the eye-catching zebraa stripes variety,they are very 'subtle' (just like me). Thanks for stopping by mate.

Ubermensch said...

Hmm. allright, hope you are fine. You have moved back to BBY? Hope ur health isnt bad. Thanks for the song explanation, sounds awkwardly squeamish.
Coming to avoiding, heres what you may want to avoid, using queer and mole on a thigh in a same comment.
bye now

parikrama said...

Yosso,
Nopes am still in Singapura. Health isn't bad but it isn't that good either (normally, I would have put a smiley here. But knowing how much you hate such inanities, I will refrain)

Now I am terribly dissapointed that you fell for the words which were intentionally implanted to throw amateur (& self taught) shrinks like Atra and Co. off the track. Its a hobby, to keep folks guessing & double guessing. But thanks anyways for your advice (though I may not follow it)

Tataa (is that a give away word too ?)

p.s. : Atra, I have used your name just for the sake of example. Plz don't feel offended. You are the BEST amongst the amateurs and I hold your opinion quite highly.

vi said...

:))

vi

The New Age Superhero said...

hahhahahaha.. oh god.. ok sorry but hehe.. abey uncle tu kaisa joker hai re... hehe.. lekin acha uncle lagta hai :P

and bout ur comment on my blog.. arey mein idhar hi hai re.. been ultra busy since last 2 months.. and moreover mere naye job pe sab sites block kiye hai and the admin guy isnt my best pal.. so his wicked eye sees 2 it tht i do not access any "illegal" sites (which include blogger).. grrr

parikrama said...

Vi,
Thanks.. Hope you are laughing at the situation and not at me :)

AB Baby,
Arey joker mein nahi, apunkaa life is a joke. Am just following the script that was handed to me by the big guy (staying upstairs)

Congrats on becoming a corporate slave again. Hope you are enjoying your new stint despite the archaic surfing restrictions. Thanks for your comments here & on the other posts. Ciao.

~vagabond~ said...

ROFL! Hilarious!!

I just today read your blog for the first time. And you've already won yourself a fan.

parikrama said...

~Vagabond~,
Thanks for passing through. Hope I win an air-con unit or a cooler with my next post. For now, a fan will do :)

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)