Punds tagged me to write 8 random facts about me, and i promptly complied. I was mighty depressed after finishing the tag (woh bhuli daastaan , loh phir yaad aa gayi & all that crap) . Anyways, a man got to do - what a man got to do. So without further ado, here are 8 randomly hand-picked facts about me :
1> I have rolled Tele-Prompter pages for Shekhar Suman.
I had a very brief stint in fillum industry (more precisely TV industry) for about 6 to 8 months. I use to work for Ken Ghosh ( google him, if you must) . This was much before he ventured into films. Back then he was mostly into music videos, TV ads and song-based countdown shows. He had a team comprising of 2 female assistant directors & one in-house editor. Myself & another friend of mine, we were one rung lower to the assistant directors & editor. Boley toh "assistant ka assistant". In plain simple words I was a glorified filmy Peon. Doing everything and anything in the name of "struggle". So one of my task (during shoots) was to sit next to the teleprompter with script pages, put it on the teleprompter and roll it slowly as Shekhar read the dialogues off the screen.
Before you guys dismiss this as a no-brainer kinda job let me tell you: It's not. It's a delicate job. You need to be in sync with the reader. If you pull the page too fast or too slow then it can mess up the dialogue delivery and you will end up will lots of Gaalis from the actor and the director. I must say, I pulled it off quite competently.
2> I have updated bank-passbook for Ken Ghosh's wife.
Refer point 1. One gets to do all kind of stuff under the name of "struggle". Some of my other duties included :
- Paying telephone/electricity bills. Ordering take-outs for the in-house staff.
- Buying Rubber bands. Ken use to sport a small ponytail (back then) which he use to tie together with rubber band. When he ran out of those, me or my other buddy use to scoot to the nearest dukaan to replenish the stock.
- Carrying the Beta Tape (video) Recorder from studio to shooting locations & back
- Writing down the shooting log. You basically note down the start and the end timing between each 'take' and mark each shot as N.G (No Good) or O.K
- Make connections of the beta recorder to the AVID editing system and keep it up & running for the editor to make the final cut.
- Digitize the shooting tape . Which is basically copy the recorded video material from tape onto the hard disk and segregate the shots.
- Stand and watch the edits
- Carry the edited tape for Beta-Mastering
- Carry the beta-mastered tapes to Star Plus / Zee Offices for them to broadcast
- Give creative inputs for the VJ script for the countdown shows.
- Be on stand-by during shoots to do just about anything and everything
3> My name has appeared in Credits on Star Plus and EL TV (circa 1996/97)
Refer point 1. This was for 2 countdown shows. One hosted by Shekhar Suman and another hosted by Rakshanda Khan. My name use to be listed as assistant editor for one of the shows and as assistant director in another show.
4> I have never hit a boundary during my (brief & eminently forgettable ) amateur cricketing life.
This has to be the biggest regret of my life. Not even once, did the ball hit the middle of my bat and raced to boundary. Never ever. But then I had very limited opportunities being the number 11 batsman in my team. (And) I was too lukkha to garner the strength required to hit a tennis ball hard enough to hit the fence. Okay enuff excuses. I confess, I sucked at cricket. Period.
5> I have been licked by Shoba De's dog
I happened to be at her home in Cuffe Parade for some official work. No, Shobha was not there to offer me nimbu-paani. Her maid & a rabid dog entertained me in her absence.
6> I got 49 marks in Hindi in 10th std.
After all these years, I am still so fucking upset about it.
7> I can float on my back without moving hands or legs
I am so good at this that once while floating in a pool, one guy mistook me for being dead and (almost) dived into pool to save me :)
8> I cannot use a soldering iron.
Which is not such a bad thing, but then, my convocation certificate says I am B.E. (Electronics) from Mumbai University. Strange but true.
P.S. : I have burnt the bridges which took me through point 1,2 & 3. When I look back at that phase of my life.. It seems like, it happened in another lifetime and to another person. It was the happiest phase of my life, but it didn't last long. Life is a bitch.