Monday, July 09, 2007

Guilty without a trial

Friday mornings almost invariably put me in good mood (in contrast to Friday evenings, which invariably put me in somber mood). As I start getting ready for office, a peppy song makes it way to my lips and I find myself singing aloud :

"Aawaaran Bhawnrey.. Jo Holley Holley Gaaye..
Phoolon Ke Rang Se.. Hawaayen Sar Saraayen.."

In my mind, I see a very perky & bubbly Kajol frolicking in sunflower fields with half a dozen busty friends.

"Kyaa Uncle, ekdum light ??"

My roommate interrupts my early morning reverie and I crash land back to earth. From time to time we (as in me & roomies) have this peculiar habit of slipping into 'Satya' lingo. In past 6 years we must have watched this movie atleast a dozen times. For reasons well beyond me, my roommates unanimously labeled me 'Uncle' after the bearded eccentric lawyer (Makarand Deshpande) from Satya. Agreed that, I am ‘now’ old enough to be called an Uncle, but 6 years back when I was christened as 'Uncle' for the first time, I was still a sprightly 27 year young lad. I still had not started dyeing my grey hair bi-monthly (as I do now). No way, I could have been an uncle back then. But somehow the name stuck. Six years down the line, I have grudgingly made peace with the Uncle tag. Anyways, moving on to this Friday morning, I pick my dialogue cue, and reply back,

"Arey Shabbo ko try to kar, keechad mein bhi kamal khiltey hein dost"

Pleasantries exchanged, roommie makes his way to the bathroom while I gather my wallet, room keys, office access card, cell and head out of our apartment. Soon I find myself waiting for the MRT. The song is still with me, but this being a public place, my lips are sealed. It now plays silently in the deep (ok maybe, shallow) recesses of my mind. The train comes. Incredibly, its not crowded as it normally is. Although I don't get a seat, but still there is plenty of legroom to stand comfortably (& ogle). Four stations before my alighting point I get a seat. It’s a corner seat, adjacent to the door.

"Please offer this seat to those who need it more than you do"

Says a sign-board above this corner seat with the customary picture of 'a pregnant lady, a child & a cane totting senior citizen' accompanying the textual message. As if right on cue, a heavily pregnant lady enters at City Hall station. One look at her incredibly fat n rotund belly and I promptly slip into flashback mode.

Flashback to Wednesday :

Same City Hall station. Same heavily pregnant lady. Same me. I am looking at her tummy with a mixture of intrigue and fear. The girth of her belly makes me wonder if the baby would pop-out even before we reach Bugis (the station next to City Hall). A girl sitting on the corner seat, quite graciously offers her seat to the preggy lady. The preggy lady equally graciously declines the offer saying she is getting down at next station. End of conversation. Preggy lady indeed gets down at next station. End of flashback.

Back to Friday Morning :

This time, I am seated in the corner seat, I recollect the scene which happened 2 days back. I can't be wrong, she is the same lady. There is no mistaking that belly. Normally, I would have offered the seat to her but knowing that she gets down at next stop, I just sit there with my eyes focused to infinity. As always, infinity doesn’t keep me interested for too long, my eyes start wandering around the compartment. I notice 2 pairs of eyes (belonging to 2 good looking girls) staring at me with un-disguised contempt and anger. Unlike me, they don't have the benefit of the flashback. They obviously are pissed that I haven't offered the seat to preggy lady. In their eyes, I am an insensitive sonofabitch. An impromptu tribunal is set. I feel like I am standing in a witness box and am being cross-examined by 2 pretty Ally-Mcbealish-lawyers-cum-co-passengers. My offence ?

“Not showing courtesy to a pregnant lady”.

I squirm in my seat. Quite frankly, the lady didn’t need a seat, rather she needed a bed in a maternity ward with a mid-wife, a doctor and some epidural on the stand-by. I keep my opinion to myself. I am caught in two minds, should I offer the seat to the lady ? (knowing fully well that she is going to refuse) or should I remain nonchalant and don't bother being in the good books of two un-known girls. I choose the later. I coolly close my eyes and pretend to sleep cutting the victim (preggy lady) and my two accusers out of my vision.

Next stop BUGIS.. (the PA system in the MRT announces the arrival of next station)

Wearily I open my eyes. For sure, the victim alights. I feel relieved & vindicated. I look again at the two jurors. They are in no mood to forgive me. They have already passed their judgment. GUILTY. I shrug my shoulders and close my eyes, once again becoming oblivious to their accusing stares & crinkling noses. In my mind however, I can no longer hold on to the sunny notes of “Aawaaran Bhawrey”. My mood slowly starts to swing from being upbeat to downright morose.



p.s : There would be some factions who might argue that I should have offered my seat to one of the two jurors. Well being a pro-feminist (whatever that means) I feel that gesture would have been downright derogatory and sexist. So there.

27 comments:

Full2 Faltu said...

Parikrama

You still have it easy! I was called kallu mama and don't even try imagining the picture.

To give them credit, I am short dark and ugly and pauchy and balding. Perfect!

If you have given seat to the two jurors, you would be feminist who look down upon woman and if you didn't give then you are an insensitive bastard. Both way, you lose! So eyes close is best option!

-Punds

Anonymous said...

Quite frankly, the lady didn’t need a seat, rather she needed a bed in a maternity ward with a mid-wife, a doctor and some epidural on the stand-by.
:-)

Mister sad that in the eyes of the unknown he been judged eh? dont we all want to appear cool, nice.. specially (for you here!) when the eyes belong to pretty ladies! hahahahahah....

Anonymous said...

Pari,

I think the disconnect begins with the disparity of information sharing. heheh...who the fuck am i kidding? Think u did well, for those staring beautiful eyes, you shouldve told em with ur eyes 'babe(s), if you were to get pregnant by me, id offer u my seat for life'. But other than that... there's not much u could've done... maybe pretended to get up and offer then be declined by the lady.

faltu, tu bhi seat nai dera yar? :P

parikrama, would like to see u write more often... write man...

Rajavel said...

IW

Wow man ! your humour is charming !

And you really had no choice there ... Staring into infinity is the only choice !

You could have stared back into those eyes !

parikrama said...

Punds,
LOL @ Kallu Maama. Your comment made my day. Thanx to you, I am now feeling cool about being "Uncle".

LL,
If there is one gurl on this planet in whose eyes I want to look cool and nice.. then that gurl is YOU.

Maltova,
Good to see you mate. Some pick up line that you came up with, but I don't think my bum is strong enough
to put up with the punishement of Caning (that we have here in Sg). You have any less banal pick up's ?

Cheti,
Thanx man. Aankhiyaa milaau.. kabhi aankhiyaa churaau ? Naa, I guess, I am too old for that.

aria said...

Well that is fine that you didn't offer your seat for the reasons you described and all the rest. It was funny too.. it's fun reading your posts. I wish you can write more often ..
I was wondering - were you the only one sitting in the bus that those two girls chose to glare in your direction? Why couldn't someone else offer his/her seat and get declined?

Btw I couldn't understand the connection between feminism and not offering seats. But that could be me. At least I never had problems in accepting seats in DTC buses, it was far better than the risk of getting groped by filthy strangers and I found guys sitting on ladies’ seats damn sissy. Sorry.. I'm digressing .. I haven't been to your part of the world .. so I'm not aware of things there ..

Vivek Sharma said...

lol IW

Guilty without a courtroom drama always happens to the honest men like u:)

(Grinning from ear to ear)

parikrama said...

Aria,
I was in a train & not a bus. In this part of the world, there are no "reserved" seat for ladies and if there were, be rest assured that I won't hog em.

As far as why the girls were glaring at me, Okay to tell you the truth, maybe the girls were not staring, it was my conscience which was pricking me more than anything/anyone and thats what made me squirm and imagine all those scenarios.

As always, you need to take my posts with a pinch of salt, else the humour will be lost on you. This piece is 50 percent fact & 50 percent fiction. I won't go so far as to tell what is fact and what is fiction. The fiction is mostly brought in to inject some fun. You must have seen Haasya Kavi Sammelan's right? Almost invariably each Kavi will have some quip about his wife. Geoff Boycott always brings his grandmother in conversation whenever he wants to be cheeky.. In the same vein I used the word "feminism", coz I know it always manages to evoke strong reactions. Don't take the word in its conventional/serious sense.

We know that in reality, the Kavi's don't look down upon their wives & am sure Geoff Boycott loves his grandmaa to death. As for me, I don't know the 'F' about Feminism except that the movement is dead & buried by now (or is it ?). Okay I digress, before you throw your chappal's at me I will signoff.

Summing up - Dil pe mat le yaar.

Vivek,
Am sure you too belong to the honest god-fearing tribe of men. Thanx for stopping by & keep grinning :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Pari,

Closing your eyes were the best thing you did. You should have done it as soon as you got your seat. By doing so, you could have avoided the court room session. But then we wouldn't have got this wonderful post from you.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this post dude. Don't ever stop blogging.

Take care dude.

aria said...

I read my own comment 2-3 times and I’m kinda surprised by your reaction. I was only giving examples from my part of the primitive world. They were only general remarks and I did not intend to pick on you for something so trivial. Yes.. I never read your posts THAT seriously. Perhaps, you should take my comments with a pinch of salt too mainly coz it seems you’ve assumed I’m a feminist (I’ve no idea.. what it means either) and so you are reading between lines.

Apologies for that train and bus goof-up.

parikrama said...

Madrasi,
Welcome to my blog & thanx for your kind words. I won't stop blogging for sure.. but you'll have to put up with my frequent blogging-menopauses :)

Aria.. Aria.. Aria.. I take all my words back. I totally mis-read the tone of your comment. Maybe I went off-track by the couple of probing questions that you asked :-)

I didn't want to get into your bad books (by virtue of being a 'reserved seat hogger' & not being chivalrous) so I went bit overboard defending myself. Am really sorry for the mis-understanding. Totally my mistake.

atrakasya said...

theek hai, but why didn't you still not offer the seat for formality's sake?
Wasn't there the chance that she would have wanted to get off at another station this time?
Wouldn't it have been good practice for you in being chivalrous, if nothing more??

Nope, your excuses don't fly at all!
Kaminey! MCP! Only know how to get women preggy, but never learnt how to offer preggy women seats, hah?
I hope the next time the preggy woman delivers her morning sickness onto an unchivalrous, seat-hoarding materialistic, hedonistic and immoral character like you! And what cheek to come and blog about the time you didnt offer a preggy lady a seat!!
Wait, I am forwarding your blog to the SPCPW [society for prevention of cruelty to pregnant women], and they'll fix you alright!

parikrama said...

Atraa,
Nau sau chuhey khakar billi haj ko chali ? Abbey saaley tereko Mumbai se yehi SPCPW waalo ne tadipaar karke Pune bhej diyaa, bhul gayaa ?

Aur yeh dhamki vamki kisi aur ko de. Apne sir pe Kallu Maama, Maltova, Cheti, Madrasi Anna aur Vivek Bhaai jaise phunter logo kaa haath hein.. apun dartaa nahi tere geedad dhamkiyo se.

Anonymous said...

IW, IW, IW

Why don't you write more often? Is it because you spend all your time
on those trains not offering seats to preggy ladies? :-P

Actually, you should spend more time on the roads and in lifts and trains. You have an eye (or two) for making the mundane very bherry
interesting.

Cheers,
Scarlett

parikrama said...

Scarlett,

Why don't I write more often ?

Free time ? I have plenty.. Everybody (except my boss) knows that I am the most vella person in this part of the world. But the spartan-one dimentional-reclusive life, that I lead, permits me to write just one post every quarter :-(

Quite honestly, therez no other excuse that I can think of :-)

asuph said...

iw,

it always happens to me: by the time i read a blog, it's already commented left and right. and i have to say -- i agree with second line of sixth comment and the thirteenth line of the ninth.

anyways, i think i agree most with scary. you should write more often. the rest is obvious. i love your sardonic humor.

and, btw, that parenthetical "as I do now" is absolutely throwaway. if they don't get it till then, they don't deserve to.

cheers,
asuph.

parikrama said...

Asupha,
I was thinking about you when i put that "as i do now" in parenthesis. Right from the "something about mary" post you have been pointing out this bad habit of mine (of stating the obvious). Dunno why i repeat the same mistake ! (In future) will try to give more respect to the grasping power of my readers.

Thanx bhaai.

asuph said...

lol iw,

u know why i spot that mistake? because i have the same habit (of stating the obvious).

:D

cheers,
asuph

Anonymous said...

It always happens to me - by the time I end up reading a post, asuph's beaten me to it and I have to agree with him! :P

IW, I am convinced you have a bestseller blog on your hands. Look for a publisher, man.

ano

parikrama said...

Ano,
(And) I am convinced that you want to drive some publisher to insolvency else you wouldn't have suggested that :)

Thanx for your flattering comment, it made me swell with false pride ;-)

Anonymous said...

lol...

the next time i happen to see a fella not getting up, i'll give him the benefit of the doubt (in the light of your blog and a change in perspective) and not give him a dirty look.

but when there's immortality on blogger's park at stake, which girl wouldn't wanna buy it with a dirty look ?

IW, you don't need a pickup line. just show those gals this entry, and they'll fall for u. trust me.

asuph said...

oye,

i'm doing your vakili at aria's blog. the rate is usual: 100 s'pore dollars per post.

of course, that's for you, lest the other s'poris start asking the same rate.

i have to get on this mission to defend you from your foolish words and actions.

cheers,
asuph

vi said...

Oh we all judge people!

Like every else already said...write more often

parikrama said...

Ananz,
Glad to see you here. As per your suggestion.. I will print copies of this post and distribute (like flyers) at bus stops, train stations and shopping malls :-)

Devil's Advocate a.k.a. Asuph,
I guess by now you must have realized you have embarked on mission impossible. I can trust you to leave the battle mid-way. Oh! you already fled the scene ? Nevermind, I have posted 100 $ cheque yesterday evening.

Vi,
Thanx.. Hope you have gotten in mood to update your 'long distance' post. Tell you what, you should write often too :)

asuph said...

ah my man,

I never confuse business with passion, and passion with business. and although every war is a dirty business, and every business is a dirty war, I run from no war, and no business. I just chose to book my profits, or losses, at the right moment.

wars are fought by fools and won by the businessmen.

thanks for the cheque, but I've already booked my losses, to preserve my long term interests.

cioa,
asuph

The New Age Superhero said...

holy fuck u r actually called as "uncle" by everyone! god.. hehehehe! u must be hatin me na? :P

and for the rest of the post.. guilty conscience made u type this na? bolo na bolo na? :P

parikrama said...

AB,
Yes, every now and then I need to remind myself & people around me that I do have a conscience and am not as shallow as everyone perceives me to be :)